Literary Illusions is about my task of reading through lists of classics: novels, biographies, histories, plays, and poetry. I'll be recording my thoughts about them, and the challenges of reading in our busy world. The lists I will be following are from the book, The Well-Educated Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

#1 - Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes (1605)

This is where Ms. Bauer chooses to begin her time line of novels. I don't think that it was the first novel ever written, because I believe that the Japanese produced the first novel (The Tale of Genji). And, of course, who knows how many novels were written that didn't survive the passage of time? Anyway, this is where we are to begin.

I did begin to read Don Quixote and thought that it was rather bizarre. Perhaps it's just me, but it seems like one of the earliest novels would be more dignified and stately than this strange romp of a story. Also, why does it have to be so LONG!!! I've read War and Peace, Lord of the Rings, and the entire Bible (each of them several times!), but this book exhausted me after only a few chapters. But then, I didn't take notes on them! (Well, except for the Bible, but that's different.)

However, I have a cheerful (and a little bit shameful) announcement - I have to skip this book for now! My brother is borrowing it from me at the moment, so I shall have to go onto the next book. Whew - maybe it will be easier to tackle that one after I've mastered some of the others.

So, moving on...

No comments:

Post a Comment